We love going to birthday parties! Usually it means lots of treats (we love food!), games to play, being with furiends and celebrating a special BarkDay. What’s not to love about birthdays?!
Of course, we always want something to wear that celebrates the occasion and, we think, a party hat is just pawfect for this.
Supplies to make a party hat for your dog
You should be able to find most of the supplies needed for the party hat around the house. We needed to buy the spray adhesive but the can is quite large and we expect it will last for many projects.
The size of this hat will suit a small to medium dog. If you have a larger sized dog, simply use a bigger bowl to create the template.
- cardboard to make the cone – recycle a cereal box, a manila folder or packaging. Our cardboard was a packaging insert from some stuff bought online. The cardboard should be fairly lightweight as the spray adhesive will stiffen it substantially.
- Spray adhesive (available from craft store, around $19/ tin)
- Bowl approximately 21cm/ 8″ in diameter
- Fabric or felt to cover your hat (perfect to use up any left over felt from the Unicorn Headband)
- Decorative items such as pompoms to embellish the hat
- Bulldog clips (not pictured)
How to make the party hat for your dog
- Place the bowl on the cardboard and trace a circle.
- Fold the circle in half, then half again. This will create a center point and four straight(ish) lines.
- Rule a line from the center to 12 o’clock and around 4 o’clock
- Cut out the small section and discard
- Bend the remaining section to loosely form the cone shape
- Spray your fabric/ felt with spray adhesive as well as the cardboard (follow the directions on the can)
- Stick the cardboard to the fabric and then away the excess fabric.
- Fold the remaining fabric over the base of the hat. There should be sufficient tackiness left in the glue to stick it to the hat, otherwise another quick spray of adhesive will do the trick.
- Bend the cardboard into a cone shape and secure with a bulldog clip. Make the cone just the right size to sit on top of your dog’s head. Using a black marker, we marked the inside of our cone where the cardboard overlapped as the size reference (see second photo from left, below).
- Add your pompom fringing (again, we used spray adhesive) then bend the cone into the finished shape and size.
- Using spray adhesive or hot glue gun, glue the inside seam of the cone. We used a bulldog clip to keep the tension and shape while the glue dried.
- Cut two lengths of ribbon approximately 33.5cm/ 13.5″ for the chin strap.
- Turn your cone hat so the seam is at the back. Add a dab of glue from the hot glue gun or spray adhesive to the ends of the ribbon and affix to the inside of the cone at around 3 o’clock and 9 o’clock. Allow to dry.
- Decorate the remainder of the hat with abandon! We added three extra pompons to match the colour of our ribbon.
TIP: we hadn’t used a spray adhesive before and love the convenience of the product. However, be sure to follow the cleaning instructions on the can. It’s likely to recommend you wipe the nozzle and spray upside down to discharge any residual adhesive. Make sure you follow any recommended steps otherwise remaining adhesive will dry and block the nozzle. We learned this the hard way!
It’s time to Pawty!
We’d love to see your party hat if you use this tutorial! Need some help with your party? We have all the tips you’ll need for planning your dog’s party here.